At COP27, GCA is convening partners from across Africa and globally for a series of policy dialogues informed by the findings of its flagship STA22 report. This policy dialogue on Scaling Climate-Resilient Agriculture and Livestock Systems in Africa will aim to:
• Unpack the issues at the intersection between the climate crisis, the current geopolitical context, and agriculture and livestock systems in Africa.
• Identify and discuss viable solutions emerging from the STA22 and from the experience of policy-makers and relevant stakeholders.
• Share and disseminate relevant evidence base to contribute to well-informed policy and
programming choices, highlighting priorities for adaptation investment and scaling.
The Policy Dialogue on Scaling Climate-Resilient Agriculture and Livestock Systems in Africa is a one-hour in-person event held in GCA’s pavilion in the Blue Zone. The dialogue is designed as an interactive discussion among leading experts and policy-makers, guided by the following framing questions:
• What are the key needs, opportunities and solutions for adaptation in the agriculture and livestock sectors?
• How can we harness the potential of Nature-based Solutions, particularly in agroforestry? What are the key challenges hindering their uptake and how can they be addressed?
• How can we enable and accelerate the transition to climate-smart agriculture, in order to realize mitigation and adaptation co-benefits?
The session will be moderated by Dr. Ede Jorge Ijjasz-Vasquez, Senior Advisor, Global Center on Adaptation and Co-Director of the STA22 and will feature interventions by high-level discussants and policy makers. It will conclude with a moderated question and answer session.
• Prof. Patrick Verkooijen, CEO, Global Center on Adaptation
• Hon. Chrysoula Zacharopoulou, Minister of State for Development, Francophonie and International Partnerships, France
• Hon. Aisha Sekindi. Minister of State for Water, Uganda
• Jyotsna Puri, Associate Vice-President - Strategy and Knowledge Department, IFAD
• Enock Chikava, Interim Director, Agricultural Development, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
• Beth Dunford, Vice President, Agriculture, Human and Social Development, AfDB
• Jennifer Baarn, Acting Managing Director, AGRF
• Todd Crane, Principal scientist, Climate change adaptation, ILRI
Highlights and wrap up