There is an urgent need for greater focus on and investment in climate adaptation efforts by smallholder producers. And we need to explore how such adaptation measures can create co-benefits in terms of mitigation effects and better livelihoods for these producers.
This session will illustrate why livestock should be an important element of these investments. The livestock sector provides employment for more than 1.3 billion people worldwide and an estimated 600 million of the world’s smallholder farming households earn their living primarily from livestock (GBADs website).
Amid a mitigation-heavy focus within the COP discussions, this session will highlight adaptation efforts that are most promising with examples from different countries/regions.
- Advancing Livestock for Climate (ALIVE4C)
- In collaboration with
- Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Impact Action Platform (CGIAR)
- Heifer International (HI)
- International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Global Dairy Platform (GDP)